Pregnancy comes with many ups and down. From experiencing a gamut of emotions to maintaining your physical and mental health, pregnancy is filled with fickleness. However, during this period, mostly women compromises with their oral health. While taking care of other things, women usually ignore their dental care. On the other hand, women are scared of getting their dental X-rays done. They are mostly concerned with whether the dental X-rays are safe during pregnancy or not. Well, the clearest answer to this is Yes! Dental X-rays are totally safe during pregnancy. However, the baby could be affected if you’ve gone through large number of abdominal X-rays over a short period of time.
What are dental X-rays?
Dental X-rays are used with low level radiation to take images of your tooth and gums. This further helps in identifying dental related problems like, tooth decay, cavities and impacted teeth. In order to evaluate your oral health, dentist uses Dental X-rays of your teeth. They are just another form of tools that are considered as important as your teeth cleaning.
Types of Dental X-Ray
Certainly, like every other medical examination, Dental X- ray are also varied in their own types.
Initially, these are of two objective types:
• First, called as intraoral X-ray. This implies with its name only. Intraoral X-ray is filmed inside the mouth.
• Second, is the opposite to it i.e the Extraoral X-ray. As the name says it all, this X- Ray is filmed outside the mouth.
• However, the fact cannot be denied that each of them show individual information of the mouth.
• Considering, pregnancy Intraoral X- rays are a bit common in normal and pregnancy dental X- rays.
The mentioned X-rays are further divided to their uses, types and nature. However, considering the dental x-rays in pregnancy it is important to have a light on Intraoral x-rays. Certainly, the reason being is its common usage.
• Bitewing x-rays : These are basic in their nature. Thus, they brief the detailing of upper and lower portion of mouth in one image. But, the main function of this particular one is to identify any kind of decay in the defined area.
• Periapical x-rays: Regardless that of bitewing x-rays, the periapical shows a whole tooth. This is to mention that it covers from the crown to the jaw area in mouth line. Moreover, it shows the surrounding of mouth bones or any other ill-occurrence in the same.
• Occlusal x-rays: These aim at monitoring the entire development of arch of teeth, considering the upper and lower jaw.
But, this does-not depletes the existence of Extra-oral x-rays. They are divided as:
• Panoramic x-rays
• Cephalometric projections
• DCT’s: Dental computed tomography
• Cone beam CT
• Digital imaging
• Dental MRI
Are Dental X-Rays Risky For Pregnant Woman?
Besides, sticking to your regular dental visit schedule, in order to avoid things like pregnancy gingivitis, it is necessary to take good-care of your teeth. However, while getting Dental X-rays, there are several factors to consider while scheduling your dental care during the pregnancy stage.
The amount of radiation is very low when used during the period of Dental X-ray. Therefore, these are not sufficient to cause any harm to the mother and baby.
Before turning the dental X-ray machine on, the dentist or hygienist places a heavy apron over the person. The heavy apron is designed in such a way that it minimises exposure radiation during the X-ray process.
The length of the apron is pretty long that it covers the abdomen. Since it protects the baby during the procedure.
The apron is heavy and protected enough to use as its safe for all stages of pregnancy. Nevertheless, you should never avoid wearing the apron as it’s better to be safe than sorry.
However, it’s more about education and understanding. The foetus is wholly dependent on the well being of the mother. Thus, they require a healthy and good maternal blood supply. Certainly, mother needs to be well oxygenated , well blood pressured, and free of pain. If there’s an obscured oral health issue, it’s pivotal to detect it before it affects both the mother and the baby. Generally, the foetus is at more risk from poor and inadequate treatment than taking Dental-X-Ray. As pregnant woman are more prone to serious infections, dental sepsis can be the source for the same. Hence, creating a risk in pregnancy.
Therefore, it is important to keep the pregnant women safe from all perspectives of health, including oral health. Having said that , it would be safe to stick to intra oral periapical x rays with an RVG sensor as this would give reasonable information at most minimal risk. OPG x rays and CBCT scans are best avoided to whatever extent possible
If you’re looking for a safer dental X-ray, consider Aesthetica . At Aesthetica, we provide the absolute oral health treatments and solutions. Our aim is to provide modern, specialised treatments in a professional environment. We are the best dental clinic in Kolkata with a highly skilled team. Reach us at aesthetica.co.in.