Preventive dentistry is about developing daily habits which can help you prevent different types of dental diseases like plaque, tartar, and helps to maintain a healthy dental structure. Preventive dentistry involves lots of different things which include regular brushing, flossing, and dental checkup at a regular interval. With the help of preventive dentistry, you can lead a healthy life without investing much in dental treatment.
Preventive dentistry is helpful in various ways. Here are some of them
- Early Diagnosis and Prevention: One of the important aspects of preventive dentistry is to go for regular checkup preferably once in six months This would help you to ensure that if there are any developing dental diseases they can be diagnosed at a very early stage and can be prevented from further progressing, for example
- pit and fissure sealants can be used in patients having deep fissure on teeth in order to prevent decay from developing.
- Fluoride varnish: It is highly beneficial in children as it strengthens the tooth structure and prevents development of caries.
- Scaling and polishing: visiting a dentist once a year for scaling and polishing of your teeth ensures that they stay healthy and prevents any gum disease or halitosis from developing.
- Preventing Dental Injury: This is another important aspect of preventive dentistry. It protects your teeth from any kind of major dental injuries. There are different types of protective devices which are being used for example Mouth Guards: They play a very important role in protecting your teeth from any sort of injuries during sports and other parafunctional habits like clenching of teeth and bruxism
Apart from these, there are different elements which are involved in Preventive Dentistry. To get more details on it, visit an experienced dentist.