Medical technology has rapidly improved in the past couple of decade in most corners of the world. It has improved in all the spheres including the dental sphere.
Gone are the days when doctors used to rely on 2D X-ray plates during dental surgeries. In recent times, 3D Imaging is paving the way for a whole new modern era!
Aesthetica Dental, the best dental clinic in Kolkata, uses the latest technology of 3D Imaging to provide the best care to their patients.
WHAT IS 3D IMAGING?
3D Imaging allows dentists to have a better idea about what they are diagnosing about and what they will be treating. This helps them to understand about what next steps need to be taken and about the further proceedings. It is already in use in the US and few other developed countries.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Advanced Cone Beam Computed Tomography ( CBCT ) machines are launched which renders a three-dimensional view of the entire mouth of the patient compared to the conventional two-dimensional X-ray plates.
HOW DOES IT HELP?
- This technology is more effective: 3D dentistry helps dentists to have a complete view of the patient’s mouth where earlier, dentists could just see a corner of the patient’s mouth through the 2D X-ray plates.
- This technology is more precise: 3D Imaging gives a complete view of the teeth alignment and how the teeth sit with respect to each other.
- This technology is more in-depth compared to the traditional methods: 3D Imaging enables dentists to have a better understanding about what changes or treatments need to be carried out.
WHAT ARE THE MAIN ADVANTAGES OF CBCT MACHINES?
- Dentists can focus on one specific area with full emphasis let’s say while operating the root canal of a single tooth.
- Controls the quality of the images and gives the perfect image of teeth arrangement, you can say it’s a mirror image!
- Passes easily through the tooth enamel, dentine, pulp, gum and other soft tissues.
- A single scan of the mouth can provide hundreds of images.
- It also reduces exposure to radiation.
WHERE IS IT USED?
- Teeth restoration/ Cosmetic surgery: Dentists can carry out reconstructive treatments or oral surgeries and helps them to plan complex surgeries in an effective manner.
- Orthodontic: Provides a 3D view of each tooth and the whole mouth thus helping in better planning of the further proceedings.
- Implants: Provides an efficient one-time fitting session by determining correct placements during dental implants.
So, to sum it up we can say that 3D dental imaging or 3D dentistry is creating leaps and bounds and creating a revolution in the sphere of dental care!
In easy words we can say that 3D dentistry at primary level, provides 3D images of the mouth with the help of a new technology using the CBCT machines. This helps us dentists to get a clear idea about the full teeth arrangement including the image of the whole mouth.
When we think of dentists, it reminds us of dentists peeping into our mouth several times and not to forget, too much of pain! But with the coming of this new technology, dentists will know exactly what to do and exactly where. They are already planned with all the proceedings beforehand.