It is widely said that “you are never fully dressed without a smile”, but do you feel ashamed of smiling because of the colour of your teeth? This is a condition many people commonly face. Everyone desires to have clean, white and bright teeth and not having it can affect their confidence. Teeth whitening is a medical procedure that can help you if you are facing this problem this might be just the right solution for you and so here we present all about teeth bleaching and teeth whitening in Kolkata.
Tooth whitening is the process of lightening the shade of one’s teeth without removing any of the surface of the tooth. It is a way of whitening the natural colour of the teeth though it cannot change the colour completely it can lighten the shade.
Tooth whitening does not have any major medical benefits it is generally done for the purpose of cosmetic enhancement. And it is linked with self-satisfaction and self-confidence. Although not a medical benefit but for people who have their teeth stained due to consumption of tobacco or smoking can go for teeth whitening treatment to get back the normal colour of their teeth.
Types of Teeth Whitening
- Professional Bleaching: Professional Bleaching is the most common type of teeth whitening process. It is undertaken by a professional dentist who first examines the patient thoroughly and then decides if the patient is fit for the procedure or not. If the patient is fit for the procedure then
- The doctor then puts a rubber mask or gel on their gums to protect them.
- The doctor then puts the whitening agent on the teeth using a specially made mouthguard which is made according to the dimensions of the patient’s mouth.
- The active ingredient in the whitening agent is generally hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide.
- As the active ingredient gets broken down in presence of oxygen it helps in lightening of the teeth enamel colour.
- Laser Whitening: Laser Whitening is gaining fast popularity now as it is a highly powerful procedure able to lighten the shade of the teeth up to 5 or 6 times.
- In Laser Whitening the doctor puts a rubber dam over the teeth of the patient to make sure that the gums are safe.
- Then a bleaching product is painted over the teeth of the patient
- A laser is then used over the teeth of the patient which activates the bleaching agent and that results in whitening of the teeth.
- Home Whitening Kit: Home whitening kits are available but it is not really advised to be used, as the procedure for using them is complicated so it is advised to talk to a dentist before trying it out. Home kits are cheap but they are not safe as they tend to be more acidic in nature. Home whitening kits are generally has paint on teeth whiteners which can contain up to 0.1% of hydrogen peroxide legally.
- Beauticians: It is not legal for beauticians to perform the above mentioned procedures as they can only be performed by dentists. A beautician if has to perform teeth whitening can only do so with home whitening kit but it is not recommended to do it from them as they are not medical practitioners and they may not take responsibility of any damage that may be caused to you through the procedure.
How long does the procedure take?
Teeth whitening procedure takes around three to four weeks, the first few visits are reserved for checking if the patient is valid for the treatment or not and then to create the mouth guard which they would need for the procedure, after the initial process is completed the patient is then supplied the whitening agent which needs to applied each day for a period of 30 minutes to 1 hour. However, with the improvement of technology and the invention of new technology there are new procedures available now such as Laser or Zoom Whitening procedure where the patient can receive satisfactory results in a few hours.
This procedure does not involve any medical risks as long as it is done by a professional dentist after being checked beforehand. If the procedure is done by non medical practitioners then the chances of risks increases as it can affect or damage your teeth and gums.
Some minor side effects of the procedure can be:
- Teeth becomes sensitive to cold
- Sore Throat
- Discomfort in gums
Even if these side effects do appear it has been seen that these side effects go away in as soon as 1 week from the procedure.
After care Tips
- Brushing of the teeth at least once a day with Fluoride toothpaste. Recommended would be brushing twice.
- Cutting down on the consumption of sugary food or food that can stain the teeth.
- Cutting down on smoking and consumption of tobacco, however, it is recommended that the patient completely leaves the consumption of tobacco and smoking.
Teeth Whitening is a procedure that is and has been done by many people all over the country and teeth whitening in Kolkata is very popular now. So if you are looking forward to bringing out your brightest smile, Aesthetica is there to help you achieve that as they are the Best Dental Clinic in Kolkata, India. Who can help brighten your smile and life.