Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping our mouth and teeth clean such that it becomes free of diseases or any other problem like bad breath, bleeding gums etc… It is important that oral hygiene practice is carried out on a regular basis to enable prevention of dental disease and bad breath.
There are many preventive measures that must be taken for keeping healthy teeth: –
- Brush your teeth before going to bed – It is highly recommended to brush our teeth 2 times daily. But, we generally ignore that and go to bed without brushing our teeth. This can cause the germs to grow and lead to several tooth diseases and decay.
- We must brush properly – we should brush for at least 2 min. We should brush all corners of our teeth so that it gets rid of the germs and food debris. Plaque can also be formed in between the teeth, so don’t forget to clean them.
- The way you brush is equally important — in fact, doing a poor job of brushing your teeth is almost as bad as not brushing at all. Take your time, moving the toothbrush in gentle, circular motions to remove plaque and food debris. Plaque which is not removed can harden, leading to gingivitis (early gum disease), that will ultimately cause mobility of teeth.
- Don’t neglect your tongue. Plaque can also build up on your tongue. Not only can this lead to bad mouth odour, but it can lead to other oral health problems.
- We should all use fluoride-containing toothpaste. Fluoride is a leading defense against tooth decay. It works by fighting germs that can lead to decay, as well as providing a protective barrier for your teeth.
- Do regular mouthwash. It is considered as one of the important oral hygiene practice. This can lead to fresh breath and healthy oral hygiene. Certain brands are best for children, and those with sensitive teeth.
- Drink more water. This habit can keep your teeth and gums clean throughout the entire day of you consuming eatables that get stuck in between your teeth. We should avoid consuming sweet and acidic eatables. This will lead to retarded bacterial growth on our teeth that results in tooth decay.
We should all see our dentists twice a year. If you are suffering from dental problem then please refer the most professional dentist and best maxillofacial surgeon in Kolkata Dr. Kamlesh Kothari.