The set of teeth is really an important feature of our faces. Mal-positioned, crooked, stained and discolored teeth can reduce the grace of your smile. There are different kinds of teeth in our mouth according to their size and position.
The four main types of teeth in our mouth are-
- Incisors – Incisors are eight teeth in the front center of your mouth (four on both lower and upper part).
- Canines – Canines are the next teeth that grow in the mouth. There are four of them and they are the sharpest teeth that help to tear apart the food.
- Premolars – Premolars are also used for tearing and crushing food but premolars have a flat biting surface. There are a total of eight premolars.
- Molars– Molars are the largest teeth in our mouth with a large biting surface. They also help to grind, tear and crush the food.
Apart from these teeth, there is another type of teeth which is called wisdom teeth. Wisdom teeth are basically the third molars. They have named wisdom teeth because they grow at a mature age, generally between the age of 17 to 21.
There is a belief that one has to remove his or her wisdom teeth as soon as it grows, but it is not completely true. Not everyone has their wisdom teeth removed. There are a lot of myths regarding the definition, problems, and removal of wisdom teeth. Most of the information about wisdom teeth comes from your friends and family but only the information coming from a reliable source such as a reputed dentist should be trusted.
The most common myths about wisdom teeth are:
- Everybody possesses wisdom teeth – It is a general myth that everybody has wisdom teeth. Some people have their wisdom teeth hidden underneath their gums which never come out. Someone may have one or two teeth erupted but not all of them. The true fact is that almost 35 percent of the total population has no wisdom teeth because they are born with them. You cannot know surely if you have them or not unless your dentists take some x-rays of your teeth when you are aged between 17 to 21. All these conditions are considerable unless you start to have problems regarding these teeth.
- You know whether you have wisdom teeth- As your third molars cannot be seen, it does not imply that you don’t possess them. The reason is that your wisdom teeth can be enclosed by your jawbone or soft tissues. A dentist will take the help of an x-ray to identify the hidden teeth. The x-ray can show if there is any growth of your wisdom teeth.
- It is necessary to have your wisdom teeth removed- One of the most common myths about wisdom teeth is this and it is utterly false because, for many people, the wisdom teeth don’t always need to be removed. People tend to believe that if they don’t take out their wisdom teeth it will be impacted and painful. They also have this idea that they will also require braces or orthodontic treatment for this. Though wisdom teeth can be crowded and lead to pain, many people don’t face any difficulty with their third molars whereas they have healthy and properly positioned wisdom teeth.
- Wisdom teeth is purposeless – the function of wisdom teeth is similar to the work of other teeth. They help to chew the food easily. Even, anthropologists say that early humans chewed hard and rough food like strong roots and raw meat with the help of these teeth. Though food has become softer and easier to chew now, healthy wisdom teeth make it easier.
Removal of Wisdom teeth:-
There are cases when the extraction of your third molars is necessary. These conditions include-
Damage to other teeth
A survey reveals that there are 10 million wisdom teeth extractions every year from five million individuals.
If you are planning to remove your wisdom teeth because of the above conditions, then Aesthetica is happy to help.
Aesthetica Dental Implant Clinics by Dr. Kamlesh Kothari is a Kolkata based chain of dental specialty clinics with a special highlight on dentistry and implantology. We are the best dental clinic in Kolkata. Our aim is to deliver appropriate care and treatment in the eastern and northern parts of our country. We are equipped with all modern technologies of dental treatment and the clinic contains all the treatment procedures required for keeping your teeth healthy and beautiful.