Oral sub mucous fibrosis
What is Oral Sub mucous fibrosis?
Oral submucous fibrosis is a condition affecting the mouth where the opening of the mouth is affected due to loss of elasticity of the mucosa (skin inside mouth) of the oral cavity. It is a premalignant (1% transformation risk) condition of the oral cavity, characterized by stiff cheeks , lips , palate and tongue. The the jaws become rigid to the point that the person is unable to open the mouth. [The condition is linked to oral cancers and is associated with betel nut , tobacco and pan supari chewing and / or its by-products . Such chewing is majorly practiced in India and South-East Asian countries.
What are the Specific features?
1. Reduction of the mouth opening (trismus)
2. Stiff and small tongue.
3. Blanched and leathery floor of the mouth.
4. Fibrotic and depigmented gingiva.
5. Rubbery soft palate with decreased mobility. 6. Blanched and atrophic tonsils.
7. Decreased elasticity of cheek (inability to blow cheeks)
What is the non surgical treatment?
Biopsy screening although necessary is not mandatory most dentist can visually examine the area and proceed with the proper course of treatment.
• Abstention from chewing betel nut and tobacco in any form
• Minimizing consumption of spicy foods, including chiles
• Maintaining proper oral hygiene
• Supplementing the diet with foods rich in vitamins A, B complex and C and iron
• Forgoing hot fluids like tea, coffee
• Forgoing alcohol
• Employing a dental surgeon to round off sharp teeth and extract third molars
• Interprofessional treatment approach
Injection of medications directly into affected area
Cost of Oral Submucous Fibrosis in Kolkata
The cost / price of Oral submucous fibrosis in Kolkata is determined based on the clinical situation and merits of the case. Most treatments in dentistry are customized to a persons existing dental situation , medical condition and understanding of future oral-dental needs.
Is surgery needed for this condition ?
The treatment of patients with oral submucous fibrosis depends on the degree of clinical involvement. [If the disease is detected at a very early stage, cessation of the habit is sufficient. Most patients with oral submucous fibrosis present with moderate-to-severe disease. Severe oral submucous fibrosis is irreversible. Moderate oral submucous fibrosis is reversible with cessation of habit and mouth opening exercise. Current modern day medical treatments can make the mouth opening to normal minimum levels of 30 mm mouth opening with proper treatment. For irreversible cases, surgery is the only option
Oral and submucous fibrosis treatment at Kolkata is performed by Aesthetica dental clinic by oral and maxillofacial surgeons rained in this procedure
"Excellent service. Great hands in carrying out procedures. Helpful, will definitely recommend
home to my friends. Very professional, great doctor." Peter Earthy