Are gum diseases, teeth sensitivity, fractured teeth or cavities bothering you? If your answer is yes to any one of these, then you need to ensure that you are eating the right kind of food and avoiding those necessary to maintain a healthy set of teeth. In your day-to-day life, you might eat foods that contain high level of sugar or acid-both of these can be very harmful to the enamel of your teeth- avoid them. Besides, there are certain other food items which you must refrain from in order to make sure that your teeth are in a healthy state. Here are some of them.
- Citrus Fruits: Though lemons and oranges are goodsources of Vitamin C, yet they can affect your teeth and make them vulnerable to decay by causing erosion of the enamel .
- Chocolates: Chocolates contain tons of sugar which can lead to the formation of dental caries over a period of time as the bacteria in the mouth starts acting on the sugar andconverting them into acids, which eventually start destroying the enamel of tooth and lead to the formation of dental decay or cavity.Candies are equally harmful as the bacteria produces acids as end product by consuming them-ultimately leading to decay of teeth.
- Coffee: Coffee also aids the bacteria in production of acids which casues erosion of enamel thereby causing weakening of tooth structure. Teeth staining is another side effect of excessive consumption of coffee.
- Chips: Chips contain starch which gets converted into sugar. Once they get trapped between your teeth, they can lead to the formation of caries.
- Carbonated Drinks: Carbonated drinks contain a high level of carbonated soda which can affect the enamel of your teeth and cause erosion,they also contain high level of sugar and regular consumption may contribute to tooth decay. They tend to dry up inside your mouth and can lead to the formation of the stain on your teeth.
- Bread: Bread contains starch which gets converted into sugar. When the bits and pieces of bread get trapped between your teeth, over a period of time, they can lead towards the formation of cavities
- Alcohol: Since alcohol is dehydrating in nature, it is harmful to your teeth. The fact that regular consumption of alcohol would result in less flow of saliva, which can cause different types of oral infections and tooth decay
These are some of the foods and drinks which you need to avoid if youdesire to have a healthy set of teeth, free from cavities and other diseases.