Cone beam computed tomography
What is CBCT in dental?
Cone-beam computed tomography systems (CBCT) are a variation of traditional computed tomography (CT) systems. The CBCT systems used by dental professionals rotate around the patient, capturing data using a cone-shaped X-ray beam Cone-beam computed tomography system.
When do we use CBCT?
Dental cone beam computed tomography (CT) is a special type of x-ray equipment used when regular dental or facial x-rays are not sufficient. The dentist may use this technology to produce three dimensional (3-D) images of your teeth, soft tissues, nerve pathways and bone in a single scan, when the conventional two- dimensional image is insufficient to give conclusive information.
What are the benefits vs. risks?
• The focused x-ray beam reduces scatter radiation, resulting in better image quality.
• A single scan produces a wide variety of views and angles thus providing a more complete evaluation.
• Cone beam CT scans provide more information that conventional dental x-ray, allowing for more precise treatment planning.
• CT scanning is painless, noninvasive and accurate.
• A major advantage of CT is its ability to image bone and soft tissue at the same time.
• No radiation remains in a patient’s body after a CT examination.
• Radiation exposure from CBCT is up to 10 times less than that incurred from medical CT scanning, which exposes a patient to a dose of approximately 400 to 1000 µSv.
• However, the benefit of an accurate diagnosis far outweighs the risk because children are more sensitive to radiation, they should have a CT exam only if it is essential for making a diagnosis and should not have repeated CT exams unless absolutely necessary.
• CT scans in children should always be done with low-dose technique.
• To be avoided in pregnant patients.
• Should not be performed routinely unless required.
Cost of Cone Beam Computed Tomography in Kolkata
The cost / price of Cone beam computed tomography in Kolkata is determined based on the clinical situation and merits of the case. Most treatments in dentistry are customized to a persons existing dental situation , medical condition and understanding of future oral-dental needs.
How long does a Cbct take?
There are a number of different scans, but a typical one lasts just under 15 seconds. You will have to remove any facial jewellery, hearing aids, and neck chains, and wait for a dentist to review that the scan has all the information we need, so if you are from an outside clinic, you will be in our clinic about twenty minutes. Aesthetica dental clinic Kolkata is one of very few clinics in the city to have its own in-house cone beat CT (CBCT) under one roof.
"Excellent service. Great hands in carrying out procedures. Helpful, will definitely recommend
home to my friends. Very professional, great doctor." Peter Earthy